In addition to the Board of Directors and staff, the Allegany Arts Council is supported by a variety of committees who carry out the mission of the organization and its work supporting the community.
Board Committees are required by our bylaws and open only to members of the Board of Directors. These committees include:
- Executive Committee: Led by the President, and comprised of the Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Executive Director and Immediate Past President (ex officio), the Executive Committee is responsible for recommending agenda items, grant guidelines, and development of long-range strategic planning goals. The Executive Committee also makes formal recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Governance/Human Resources: Led by the Vice President, the Governance Committee’s chief responsibilities are to determine the composition of the Board of Directors, and to measure the quality of performance of the Board and its individual members. The President must appoint at least three additional members of the Board of Directors to serve on the committee.
- The Human Resources Committee is responsible for creating and monitoring values-based systems to ensure the organization is in compliance with local, state and federal laws. It also assists the Executive Director as needed to manage human resource and employment matters.
Standing Committees are required by our bylaws and provide opportunity for the organization to utilize the expertise and abilities of Arts Council members, volunteers and donors, putting their talents and experience to work for the organization’s success. All members of the Arts Council are eligible to join committees and may co-chair a committee, along with a member of the Board of Directors. These committees include:
- Investment: Led by the Treasurer, the Investment Committee is responsible for oversight of the organization’s restricted funds and other unrestricted investments of the organization, for proposing investment strategy, and for the development and maintenance of an investment policy.
- Grants: Led by the Executive Director, the Grants Committee is responsible for reviewing and evaluating all grant applications and for proposing funding recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Fundraising/Special Events: The Fundraising Committee is responsible for the development of programs and initiatives to be recommended to the Board of Directors, as needed by the organization, to sustain its operations.
Ad Hoc Committees
Ad Hoc Committees provide opportunity for the organization to utilize the expertise and abilities of Arts Council members, volunteers and donors, putting their talents and experience to work for the organization’s success. All members of the Arts Council are eligible to join committees and may co-chair a committee, along with a member of the Board of Directors. These committees include:
- Creative Placemaking: The Creative Placemaking Committee is responsible for cultivating, developing and proposing projects which include art as a part of community development. The committee also seeks opportunities and funding for the implementation of public artworks.
Wellness through the Arts: The Wellness Committee is responsible for developing programs and initiatives which utilize art as a means to promote health and well-being in our community.
- Exhibition: The Exhibition Committee is responsible for the review of exhibition applications for the Arts Council’s Saville and Schwab Galleries, and for recruiting artists to exhibit in our community.
In addition to the Exhibition Committee, several other annual exhibitions maintain committees which support the planning, juror selection, sponsorship and implementation of signature events of the Arts Council, including the Allegany National Photography Competition & Exhibition, Mountain Maryland Plein Air Competition & Exhibition, and Will’s Creek Exhibition of Fine Art.
- Membership: The Membership Committee is responsible for the recruitment and retention of members of the organization.
Complete information about our mission, membership, leadership, elections and meetings may be found in our bylaws.
Allegany Arts Council Bylaws